Most performed procedures in cosmetic surgery:
The female breast is considered one of the defining representations of sexuality, vitality, and beauty in the human body. Therefore, it is clear why so many women aspire to have breasts that are shapelier, larger, and fuller. Breast Enlargement, also known as Augmentation Mammoplasty, is a procedure where an implant is positioned behind the chest wall muscle or the breast in order to increase the size, fullness, and shape of the breast. It also aids in improving the proportions of the body.
Breast augmentations have been performed in over 3 million women for over 30 years. During this time, the techniques used to perform this surgery along with the breast implants themselves have been refined to enhance the reliability and safety of the procedure. The main factors that allow for a successful Breast Augmentation procedure are meticulous attention to detail during the pre-operative preparation stage, thorough attention to implant positioning and technique during surgery, and vigilant patient compliance during the post-operative and recovery process. It is also extremely important that an extensively trained surgeon who is an expert on the procedure performs the surgery. Schedule a consultation with your cosmetic surgeon to see if you are a candidate.
There are historically two age groups of women seeking breast implants, but for different reasons. Younger women, ranging 20-25, are usually seeking breast enlargement due to smaller breast and they are looking for a more shapely body.
Women over 40 are seeking breast implants due to age related breast appearance (sagging breast). The question that often arises in women over 40, will the breast augmentation interfere with mammograms? The answer according to the Cleveland Clinic (Women�s Health What You Should Know About Breast Implants After 40Mammography, excess skin need special care By Women’s Health Team | 6/26/15 9:30 a.m.) is no. Most cosmetic surgeons place the implants under the pectorals major muscle, which is a separate space from the breast gland. This means the mammogram can still image the breast gland. (Tell your doctor that you have implants when undergoing a mammogram.)
Women after 40 may also require a breast lift. Over time, breasts can lose their firmness and shape due to loss of skin elasticity, weight loss, pregnancy, nursing, and the natural deterioration of breast tissue following childbearing years. Normal processes at this age can cause the breasts to loose their shape and sag, particularly in the upper breast. In cases like these, the amount of excess skin on the breast is inconsistent with the remaining volume of the breast. Mastopexy, also known as Breast Lift surgery, is a procedure that reverses or slows the natural effects of aging and gravity.
Breast reduction surgery is usually performed on patients who have spent years fighting the numerous issues and discomforts that are related to overly large breasts. Discomforts and reasons for considering cosmetic surgery for breast reduction include:
- Problems with posture
- Shoulder, neck, and back pain
- Skin irritation and rashes underneath the breasts
- Restrictions on physical activity
- Indentions from bra straps that are painful
- Enlarged areolas
- A disproportional, �top heavy� feeling
- Stretch marks, stretched skin, extensive sagging
���The psychological reasons for wanting breast reduction are just as captivating as the physical ones. Many patients considering breast reduction say that their overly large breasts have lead them to be self-conscious and attract unwanted attention. Many of these women have been harassed since puberty, and therefore feel the need to conceal their bodies underneath shapeless, baggy clothing because of their self-consciousness.
Women are not the only sufferers of this condition. Some men suffer from Gynecomastia, enlargement of male breast tissue. The discomfort felt in this condition can lead to an equal source of embarrassment and discomfort. For men, liposuction is usually performed for breast reduction. Schedule a consultation with your cosmetic surgeon to see if you qualify for this procedure.
An abdominoplasty, also known as �Tummy Tuck,� is a procedure devised to smooth and firm your abdomen. A trim and flat abdominal area is a feature we identify with good health, physical fitness, and youthfulness. Loose, flabby skin and a bloated abdomen can make it hard to wear certain kinds of clothing, and can make us very self-conscious during activities that require us to show skin, like going swimming with friends. A bulging abdomen can be the result of cycles of weight gain followed by weight loss, or overextended abdominal muscles. There is sometimes an inherited familial pattern of abdominal obesity in a localized area while the rest of the body shape is normal. A lot of the time, it is due to pregnancy, which can cause the abdominal muscles to stretch and separate, and can cause the skin to loose its elasticity. When this happens, greater attention to diet or exercise will not improve the condition; especially if the skin and muscles have been stretched too much and weakened. Many patients become disheartened by the lack of results when dieting and exercising does not give them the results they wish for.
Abdominoplasty surgery modifies conditions that lead to a bulging abdomen by reducing fat below the skin, removing extra abdominal skin, using liposuction in the abdomen, and if required, tightening muscles of the abdominal wall. Often, stretch marks, and scars from an appendectomy or a C-section can be removed as well.
When having this procedure, it is important to have realistic expectations. An abdominoplasty is not an alternative to weight loss. In certain cases, it is recommended that patients join a supervised weight management program, and consult with a registered dietitian or nutritionist for aid in weight stability and healthy eating habits.
Liposuction removes fat and promotes skin tightening in the treated area. There are different forms of liposuction. The most common areas for liposuction are:
This procedure can be used to enhance looks and confidence. Liposuction is mainly used on areas of the body that have trouble responding well to diet and exercise. This procedure may be done alone or with other procedures such as breast reduction, facelift, or a tummy tuck. Schedule a consultation with a cosmetic surgeon to see if you are a candidate and discuss which liposuction treatment is right for you!
Gluteal enhancement with augmentation has become popular. Exercise and genetics are important to gluteal anatomy, however, for patients who are seeking more methods to achieve an ideal look, butt enhancement can work for you. There are many different methods to attain your desired look: liposuction, gluteal implants, or posterior body lift procedures.
Butt augmentation combined with fat transfer and liposuction has become very popular in Brazil. As a result, this procedure became known as the �Brazilian Butt Lift.� Although it is not really a lifting procedure, using the patient�s fat to fill the butt gives the benefit of augmenting the fullness and size of the butt, and also lifting the butt. An advantage to this procedure is the liposuction from the flanks, abdomen, inner thighs, and outer thighs help further enhance the total body contour, making the butt look shapelier and larger. This procedure can be combined with a tummy tuck.
Since women are comfortable with silicone implants for breast augmentation, some choose gluteal implants to as a form of gluteal augmentation. This is a great option for women who are thinner and more athletic since these women may not have enough fat for fat transfer procedures. Gluteal implants provide extremely consistent results without risk of fat graft loss. Modern gluteal implants are FDA approved and are designed to give a natural and beautiful gluteal contour.
WARNING: ILLEGAL BLACK MARKET SILICONE INJECTIONS
To be fore warned is to be fore armed. There are dishonest people posing as �injectors� and are practicing medicine without a license. They are injecting unknown substances into women for what they call �butt pumping.� Many women across the country have died from these illegal and highly dangerous procedures. People performing these procedures often work out of their homes, hotel rooms, beauty salons, or �Hierberias.� They inject substances that are not FDA approved such as industrial grade silicone or hydrogel imported from Columbia or Mexico.
Bariatric surgery gives men and women alike the opportunity to change their lives and bodies through substantial weight loss. These patients may use lifestyle changes, diet, and exercise to re-shape their bodies. However, as the body reduces to a healthier size, skin does not necessarily shrink with it. Most bariatric patients are left with extra skin, which takes away from the look of their healthier body.
Because of this, many patients are in demand of cosmetic surgery to remove excess skin. The inspiring results can make patients feel and look better by allowing them to fully enjoy their new body. Some patients will require multiple procedures to help them reach their physical goals. Different procedures can be done to help achieve ultimate self-improvement goals:
- Breast Lift
- Arm Lift
- Thigh Lift
- Lower Body Lift
Schedule a consultation with your cosmetic surgeon to see if you qualify for this procedure.
Men are opting for cosmetic surgery now more than ever before. It allows them to look better and feel better about themselves. It is becoming increasingly popular among men for the same reason it is popular among women � a young looking, fit, attractive body is important in society regardless of gender. Men use cosmetic surgery as means to maintain and enhance their masculine appeal.
Many men of different ages are concerned with fat deposits in areas that do not respond to exercise and diet. Some of these areas include flanks (�love handles�) neck, abdomen, and breasts. The male body can be enhanced through the following procedures:
- Also known as LipoSculpting, this minimally invasive procedure takes away stubborn, troublesome excess fat from the neck, face, and body. Liposuction may be the answer if you have unwanted fat that is not going away. Some after effects of liposuction are bruising, soreness, and mild swelling. Patients can generally return to work in as little as two to three days.
- Breast Reduction (Gynecomastia)
- Like women, men suffer from enlarged breasts. This condition is known as gynecomastia. It can be a big source of embarrassment and discomfort in men. It can be treated through liposuction, however, men with severe breast enlargement and drooping excess skin, Liposuction is combined with other excisional procedures to reshape the chest and remove excess skin to create a more masculine appearance.
- Pectoral Implants
- Even with a regular weight lifting routine, many men find that they are unable to develop the muscles in their chest. Some men can be very self-conscious if they were born with a congenital defect called pectus excavatum (sunken sternum). This implant procedure can improve the look of the male chest by placing implants underneath the chest muscle. These silicone implants are highly cohesive and are not soft like silicone implants used for the female breast. This results in a firm, more masculine feel.
- Gluteal Implants
- The contour and shape of the buttock is an important component of image and total body shape. Many men have difficulty enhancing the shape and fullness of the gluteal contour. For some men, Liposuction of the abdomen with fat transfer can result in a major transformation, but for men with small amounts of fat, gluteal implants may be the only option to help with the look and shape of their butt.
- Men can benefit from conventional procedures like an abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) if they have lost large amounts of weight, either after bariatric surgery, or through exercise and diet, and are left with excess skin hanging over their waist. Men have an advantage after tummy tuck surgery because the scar is very often hidden well by the hairline. An significant element of an abdominoplasty is the plication of the diastasis recti (widening of the linea alba in between rectus abdominus muscles). This results in a much flatter appearance and a slimmer waist after a tummy tuck procedure. If the patient�s work does not require heavy lifting, they can return after 2 weeks. Patients are to wear a specialized compression garment for the first six weeks after surgery.